About the Surplus Property Management Office
The Surplus Property Management Office is part of the office of the director of the Department of General Services. With a customer-focused approach that seeks to streamline the entire purchasing process, our goal is to make buying from the Commonwealth as easy and convenient as possible.
Our mission is twofold:
- To re-utilize surplus property, providing substantial savings to taxpayers, and
- To sell surplus to the general public at competitive prices, helping the Commonwealth to recover its investment
The surplus shopping program offers a number of important benefits to Virginia and Virginians:
- It saves money
- It conserves resources by stretching consumer buying power
- It supports the Commonwealth's commitment to environmental responsibility by recycling manufactured goods and saving natural resources
- It offers a wide range of products that are as good as – if not better than – new products
The director of the office is Brad Crawford. Prior to joining the Department of General Services, Mr. Crawford spent 30 years in manufacturing and consulting, specializing in inventory management, warehousing/distribution and logistics. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from Oral Roberts University.